Wednesday 23 November 2011

The Meta Game (The Cutting of Cookies)

The Meta Game is the definitive strategy, build or method that people use in a game in order to achieve maximised potential and exceed at the game. These "Cookie Cutter" strict builds are used by players in order to achieve maximum damage, healing, defence, or wins.
Of course, this blog wouldn't be called the Annoying Truth if I was praising Cookie Cutter builds. Oh no... I am going to talk about why the Meta Game is fucking boring!

Now I'm gonna start off by saying that it's not cookie cutter builds that piss me off. I follow a few in order to output a large amount of damage or in order to get a good build order in the start of a SC2 game. What pisses me off, is when people follow them to the fucking point.
Like, why would you follow someone else's build for a champion in LoL that works for THEM. Like sure, you can use the same masteries and runes, but you need to revolve your game play around the game at the time. Like you wouldn't follow his guide that was full of magic resist, against a team of fighter classes. 

Then you get the people, who are just boring and use the same, linear strategy all the damn time. I see this particularly in Terran players in Starcraft 2. They will go either Mass Marines, or Marauder/Marine/Siege-Tank combos. It gets so boring for me, when I'm playing Protoss or Zerg, and they've done standard wall off, standard build order and standard unit composition. Guaranteed, if I used any flying units (Mutalisks muahahaha) their pathetic, simple Terran minds would go "OMG THEY FLAY! WTF?!?!?".
It's why I like WhiteRa as a player, he doesn't follow cookie cutter builds and likes to use special strategies that surprise the enemy because of it's anti-normality. 
It's why one time when I had a MASSIVE influx of minerals, I decided to wall off my base with Hatcheries. That way I could hatch up a lot of lava, defend my base and because I was using mutalisks and Ventral Sac'd Overlords, I completely surprised him, destroying his army and base while he was trying to comprehend why a Zerg player would wall off. (I like to incorporate strategies from other races)

I also like to incorporate this odd, combination strategy into games like Guild Wars. I confuse so many people in PvP when I run in with my warrior. Start to hit them with my totem axe and suddenly start to cast fire magic spells at them. Battle-mage ftw!
Whilst everyone is spamming their GW-PvX Meta builds, I am running in head first, hitting people with my weapons and casting spells at them right in front of them. 

Concluding, there's not really much to talk about. Cookie cutter builds are fine, you can use them all you want. Just add your own fucking spin to it that makes it work for you. Otherwise you just get converted to a herd mind that blindly follow other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment